Wednesday 12 March 2014

Nail Art Tutorial: Vintage Roses

Hello lovely readers!

Recently I've been asked by a few people on Instagram how I do some of my nail art designs and what a better way to explain then with a tutorial! I've been wanting to do nail art tutorials for a while now and now that I have this blog I hope it can become a regular thing.
 

 I decided to start with this  vintage rose print because it's a simple but very pretty design....So lets get started!

What You'll Need



  • Base Coat
  • A base colour
  • A  base colour for your roses
  • A colour for the accents of your roses, a darker shade of you rose base colour works best (or black is nice too)
  • A green polish for the leaves
  • Another darker shade of green polish for accents on the leaves
  • Top coat
  • Nail art brush (for cleanup)
  • Toothpicks
  • A nail art dotting tool
  • Nail polish remover

STEP 1

Clean your nails with nail polish remover to remove old polish, dirt and oil. Apply your base coat. When your base coat is dry apply 2-3 coats of your chosen base colour and allow to dry. I chose Face of Australia 'Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy'.



STEP 2

Once your base colour is dry, using the medium/large end of the nail dotting tool, 'dot' some 'not-quite-circle' patches on to all your nails using your chosen rose colour; I chose OPI 'Pink Friday'. I usually do 3-4 patches on each nail (depending on the size you want your roses) so the roses are not to crowded, and remember to leave room to add some leaves! It's also nice to do some roses of the edges of your nails, to make it look as if the pattern is continuing.



STEP 3

Once your rose patches have dried, using a toothpick, draw some little U and C shaped curves in the middle and outer edges of your patches in the colour you have chosen as your rose accent. I used Rimmel London 'Hot Shot'. These accents are meant to look like the petals and don't have to be perfect!



STEP 4

Now for the leaves! Once your roses have dried, using a toothpick, create little triangle shapes coming from the side of the roses using your chosen green colour. I used Sinful Colours 'Pistache'


STEP 5

Once your leaves have dried, using a toothpick and your darker green polish, add little accent lines to your leaves; I used Ulta 3 'Mermaid Green'. I usually like to add a little line to the centre and/or one side of the leaf, these don't have to be perfect either, they're just to add a little accent colour to the leaves and make them more 'vintage' looking.



STEP 6

Clean up any nail polish that has gotten on your skin/cuticles with your nail art brush and some nail polish remover. Allow your design to dry completely and add your favourite top coat, then your done!
Take some photos and admire your work! :)



I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I've explained everything well enough lol! If you decide to give this design a go I'd love to see it, post a link in the comments or tag me on Instagram!

What tutorial would you like to see next? Leave me a comment if there is anything you'd love to see! :)

Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

  1. nice mani :))

    http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tutorial! It's really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you find it takes a long time for the layers of polish to dry enough so you can get on with the next step? I remember doing flowers with acrylic paint heard ago, then you just top coat it. That was easy but would be tricky if you wanted to match the shade of nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deirdre, if you do relatively thin coats it shouldn't take too long to dry, if I'm really pressed for time I will top coat with a fast try top coat in between layers to speed up dry time, hope that helps! :)

      Delete